If your computer is running slow and feels like it is lagging at all, it’s probably trying to tell you it’s time to do a little cleanup and update maintenance.
Every Monday, without fail, and sometimes more, if my computer tells me to – I run Disk Cleanup and Windows Updates. Regardless of how much or little you use your computer, you should make a point to do these steps at least once per week.
Instructions on how to do Disk Cleanup and Windows Updates on Windows 7. I will be sharing details on completing the same tasks in Windows 8 as well. It’s essentially the same, with a slightly different way of accessing the tools.
The Disk Cleanup utility removes unnecessary files to free up space on the disk drive of your choice. To run Disk Cleanup on a Windows 7 computer, follow these steps:
- Click Start.
- Click All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup.
- Select Drive C from the drop-down menu.
- Click OK.
Disk cleanup will scan and calculate the free space on your computer, which may take a few minutes. While scanning, you will see a dialog box that looks like this:
After the calculation is complete, you should see a dialog box that looks similar to the following:
To check for and install updates on a Windows 7 computer, follow these steps:
- Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button (located in the lower left of your screen).
- In the search box, type Update
- In the list of results, click Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
- If you see a message telling you that important updates are available, or telling you to review important updates, click that message to view and select the important updates to install.
- In the list, click the important updates for more information.
- Select the check boxes for updates that you want to install, and then click OK.
- Click Install updates. Read and accept the license terms, and then click Finish if the update requires it. If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Once you have ran your Disk Cleanup and Windows Updates, you will need to RESTART your computer in order for everything to complete. To RESTART your computer properly, do so by clicking the START button in the lower left of your screen and restarting from the appropriate option. Do NOT select “Log Off” you need to do a full RESTART.
Follow us on Facebook